Monday, June 7, 2010

Is it "real" or is it Digital?

I have been thinking about this question since I first read a post over at Two Peas in a Bucket in the General Scrappin forum. I never really thought much about it, but than I began to question my craft and my ability. Is there really a difference? and does it really matter "how" we share our stories, our pictures and our everyday life, just as long as we are doing it? I doubt my grandchildren are going to look back at my scrapbooks (that my son has so painstakingly preserved over the years) and say look at these, grandma didn't really scrapbook because she was digital. But then again, by the time my son is married (after his college career in hockey) everyone will be doing it digital.

I love my craft...
I love sharing my photos...
and our stories...
I love being with people who get it just as much as me...
I love that my life, my husband, my children and my job allow me time to do this...
digital is me and it has become a part of who I am.

and the inspiration to do this is everywhere!

I recently participated in a challenge over at Designer Digitals now you tell me, is it real or is it digital? and could you even do this traditionally?



ice hockey

3 comments:

Esther Andrews said...

Even one of the oldest photos I have - of my grandfather with his mother, grandparents and greatgrandfather - was manipulated. The photographer obviously felt my ggggf's beard and eyes lacked definition and he added the finest details to the photographic plate. I wouldn't have noticed from the photographic print - only when I scanned at high resolution and zoomed in. For me, "real" is a photo with caption, no enhancement of any kind. A page of art (be it digital or paper) is not "real". What you have here is no different from using shape cutters and adding stickers. I wouldn't call it "real", but neither is a page full of primas and ribbons!!

Amy said...

It's most definitely a craft! They never stopped to ask whether a book report was of less value when i stopped being hand written and started being typed on a type writer. So much bigger things to worry about in life, you know? We're all seeking the same goal- to do something creative and in some way honor the memory and moment of the photo. How you do that {to me} is all preference.

Mindy Hanson said...

Firstly, I love this layout as you already know.

Secondly, I'm not sure how others feel about our love for digi (or obsession rather). As you sate, I feel what matters is that the act meets some sort of objective or that it feeds a need. For me personally my main reason for scrapping is that it provides a vehicle to express myself. For others like you mention, it is to record history and provide a tangible record of life's happenings. Does it matter what means we use to attain that goal? I really don't feel it does.

It actually saddens me that this separation exists at all. Why do some in the scrap world feel the need to differentiate or diminish what we do?

SCRAP ON Mar! I love admiring and drawing inspiration from your beautiful, identifiably unmistakably Mary Rogers designs.